Saturday, April 13, 2013

JUST GIVE ME JESUS



I love the words to that old spiritual:
In the morning when I rise, in the morning when I rise
In the morning when I rise, give me Jesus
Give me Jesus, give me Jesus, you can have all this world
Just give me Jesus
However, in the morning when I rise, in addition to Jesus I would add one thing - a cup of medium roast Starbucks coffee.  I like it best freshly ground and pressed, not filtered.  As I’m fond of saying, Jesus deserves my best, and without the coffee, He won’t get it.  But back to the song, it truly captures the heart beat of what it means to be Jesus’ disciple.  We follow Him, because we want to be with Him. 
For me that starts about 15 minutes after I leave the covers.  I make my bed, put on some old clothes, quietly walk to the kitchen so as to not wake Barb, and boil water for my coffee.  I then make my way into the living room to my recliner (we have his and her recliners), pull out my Bible, and open it.  I don’t have to read too many verses, and it doesn’t matter if they are in Leviticus or Matthew, He is there.  The Bible is His Word, a living Word, and as many times as I’ve read through it, it continues to be the voice of my Jesus to me.  Just yesterday I was reading in Psalms, “O Lord, in the morning you hear my voice; in the morning I prepare a sacrifice for you and watch.” (Ps.5.3 ESV)  I see three parts to this verse that describe my morning times with Jesus.  Firstly, He hears my voice as I pour out my concerns:  a problem at work I’m trying to solve, a difficult person I’m trying to get along with, a decision I need to make, and nearly every day, God’s blessing and protection for my wife and family.  But the joy of being with Jesus goes beyond knowing He hears and cares about all that concerns me.  The sacrifice part of this verse regularly becomes part of our time together taking shape as an offering of worship.  How can I not be grateful for sin forgiven, for eternal life, for His loving care and protection, and for the grace and peace that are mine each day in Christ?  Then there is the third part, watching.  Watching is the quiet in my quiet time, those moments when my attention is actively fixed on Jesus, but I’m not talking or worshipping, I’m just focused on Him.  Often in the quiet He speaks to me.  That still small voice that brings direction or understanding. 
What I do may not work for you, so find your own place and time.  Just don’t miss what truly is more valuable than all the world has to offer – just being with Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment